[RUME] The Word Not Mentioned in the Debate: Poverty

Richard Hake rrhake at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 5 10:48:32 EDT 2012

Some subscribers to RUME might be interested in a recent
discussion-list post "Re: The Word Not Mentioned in the Debate:
Poverty" [Hake (2012)].

Q. What's poverty got to do with math education?

A. See #11 below: "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in
Mathematics" [Marder (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM>.

An abstract is:

ABSTRACT: Diane Ravitch in her hard hitting "Diane Ravitch's blog"
<http://dianeravitch.net/> wrote in an entry "The Word Not Mentioned
in the Debate: Poverty" at http://bit.ly/RfuGY4:

"Poverty. Lots of talk about the middle class. Tax cuts for the
middle class. Saving the middle class. Doing more for the middle
class. Not one word about poverty. No mention that nearly 25% of the
children in the world's richest nation live in poverty. Not one word."

The overriding influence of poverty on educational achievement has
been noted in, e.g. (alphabetical order by author):

1. "Our Impoverished View of Educational Reform" [Berliner (2005)],
at <http://bit.ly/ff8BVj>;

2. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors and School Success"
[Berliner (2009)], at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>;

3. "Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality, Schools, and Children's
Life Chances"
  [Duncan & Murnane (2011a)] at <http://bit.ly/nCkmKv>;

4. "Economic inequality: The real cause of the urban school problem,"
[Duncan & Murnane (2011b)] at <http://bit.ly/rv3rMO>.

5. "To Improve Schools, Fight Poverty, Education Expert Says" [Gosier
(2011)], online at <http://bit.ly/qyrBSL> - the expert is Stephen
Krashen <http://bit.ly/Ui9xm1>;

6. "Re: Economic Inequality: The Real Cause of Urban School Problems
#2" [Hake (2011a)] at <http://bit.ly/ozuZEn>;

7.  "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students'
Academic Gain?" [Hake (2011b)], online at <http://bit.ly/g6UWUZ>

8. "Is the 'Teacher Effect' the Dominant Factor in Students' Academic
Gain? #3" [Hake (2011c)], online at  <http://bit.ly/jy61UB>;

9. "Class Matters. Why Won't We Admit It?" [Ladd & Fiske (2011)] at
<http://nyti.ms/vx3nub>;

10. "Education and Poverty: Visualizations of World, US, and
State-level Educational Data" [Marder (2011)] at
<http://bit.ly/nYC6eF>;

11. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in Mathematics" [Marder
(2012)] at <http://bit.ly/KPitWM>;

12. "The hard bigotry of low expectations and low priorities" [Ravani
(2011b)] at
<http://bit.ly/sUZ17T>;

13. "Unaddressed Link Between Poverty & Education" [Schaffer (2011)]
at <http://bit.ly/tbckql>.

To access the complete 8 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/QJWvds>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

"Data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress show that
more than 40 percent of the variation in average reading scores and
46 percent of the variation in average math scores across states is
associated with variation in child poverty rates."
      - Ladd & Fiske (2011)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 04 Oct 2012.
Hake, R.R. 2012. "Re: The Word Not Mentioned in the Debate: Poverty,"
online on the OPEN AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/QJWvds>. Post of
4 Oct 2012 12:56:14-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and
link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion
lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <xxxxx> with a
provision for comments.

Ladd, H.F. & E.B. Fiske. 2011. "Class Matters. Why Won't We Admit
It?" New York Times Opinion Piece, online at <http://nyti.ms/vx3nub>.