[RUME] RUME XV Conference Proceedings HONORABLE MENTION AWARDS

Stacy Brown Stacy_Brown at pitzer.edu
Mon Oct 8 02:35:21 EDT 2012

* HONORABLE MENTION AWARDS *
 On behalf of the 2012 Conference Committee, it is my pleasure to announce that two papers are recipients of the Honorable Mention Awards for the 15th Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education:

THE UNIT CIRCLE AND UNIT CONVERSIONS
Kevin C. Moore University of Georgia kvcmoore at uga.edu<mailto:kvcmoore at uga.edu>
Kevin LaForest University of Georgia laforesk at uga.edu<mailto:laforesk at uga.edu>
Hee Jung Kim University of Georgia hjk at uga.edu<mailto:hjk at uga.edu>

Abstract: While the unit circle is a central concept of trigonometry, students’ and teachers’ understandings of trigonometric functions typically lack connections to the unit circle. In the present work, we discuss a teaching experiment involving two pre-service secondary teachers that sought to characterize and produce shifts in their unit circle notions. Initially, both students experienced difficulty when given a circle that did not have a stated radius of one. The students relied on memorized procedures, including “unit-cancellation,” to relate the unit circle to given circles. In an attempt to foster more robust connections between novel circle contexts and the unit circle, we implemented tasks designed to foster thinking about a circle’s radius as a unit of measure. We report on the students’ progress during these tasks.
[
SOCIOMATHEMATICAL NORMS AND MATHEMATICAL SOPHISTICATION:
A QUALITATIVE CASE STUDY OF AN INQUIRY-BASED MATHEMATICS COURSE FOR PRESERVICE ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
Jennifer E. Szydlik University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Carol E. Seaman University of North Carolina Greensboro
Abstract: We document the evolving meanings that preservice elementary teachers ascribed to the sociomathematical norms of a mathematics class designed to foster mathematical sophistication. Specifically, we explore the developing meanings students gave to: a) their instructor’s request for general solutions to problems; b) classroom norms concerning problem solving behaviors; and c) their instructor’s expectation for mathematical justification. Finally, we document changes in student mathematical sophistication during the course of a semester, and illuminate the reflexive relationship between their mathematical sophistication and their interpretations of these classroom sociomathematical norms.
The honorable mention awards are honors bestowed upon papers that make significant contributions to the field in terms of raising new questions, extending or refining theoretical models, or providing insights into existing research programs. The papers are selected through both an internal and external review process. The papers, along with the other conference papers, are available in the RUME XV electronic conference proceedings, which will soon be available at http://sigmaa.maa.org/rume/Site/News.html.
Congratulations to Kevin, Kevin, Hee Jung, Jennifer, and Carol!
Sincerely,
Stacy Brown, Conference Chairperson
On behalf of the SIGMAA on RUME