[RUME] RUME XV Conference Proceedings

Stacy Brown Stacy_Brown at pitzer.edu
Mon Oct 8 02:35:35 EDT 2012

The RUME XIV Conference Proceedings are now available for the SIGMAA on RUME 15th Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education. These electronic
conference proceedings represent the many and varied areas of study that are currently being pursued with regard to the teaching and learning of collegiate mathematics. We wish to acknowledge the conference program committee and our many reviewers, for their substantial contributions and support of the SIGMAA on RUME.

Volume 1, RUME Conference Papers<http://pzacad.pitzer.edu/~sbrown/RUME/RUME_XV_Volume_1.pdf>, includes conference papers that underwent a rigorous review by two or more reviewers. These papers represent current work in the field of under- graduate mathematics education and are elaborations of selected RUME Conference Reports. Volume 1 begins with the winner of the best paper award and the papers receiving honorable mention. These awards are bestowed upon papers that make a substantial contribution to the field in terms of raising new questions or providing significant insights into existing research programs. This years recipients of the are:

Best Paper
A MODEL OF STUDENTS’ COMBINATORIAL THINKING: THE ROLE OF SETS OF OUTCOMES
Elise Lockwood

Honorable Mention
THE UNIT CIRCLE AND UNIT CONVERSIONS
Kevin  Moore, Kevin LeForest, and Hee Jung Kim

Honorable Mention
SOCIOMATHEMATICAL NORMS AND MATHEMATICAL SOPHISTICATION: A QUALITATIVE CASE STUDY OF AN INQUIRY-BASED MATHEMATICS COURSE FOR PRESERVICE ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
Jennifer Szydlik and Carol Seaman

Volume 2, RUME Conference Reports<http://pzacad.pitzer.edu/~sbrown/RUME/RUME_XV_Volume_2.pdf>, includes the Contributed, Preliminary and Theoretical Research Reports that were presented at the conference and that underwent a rigorous review by at least three reviewers prior to the conference. Contributed Research Reports discuss com- pleted research studies on undergraduate mathematics education and address findings from these studies, contemporary theoretical perspectives, and research paradigms. Preliminary Re- search Reports discuss ongoing and exploratory research studies of undergraduate mathematics education. Theoretical Research Reports describe new theoretical perspectives and frameworks for research on undergraduate mathematics education.

The Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education are our record of the presentations given and it is our hope that they will serve both as a resource for future research, as our field continues to expand in its areas of interest, methodological approaches, theoretical frameworks, and analytical paradigms, and as a resource for faculty in mathematics departments, who wish to use research to inform mathematics instruction in the university classroom.

Dr. Stacy Brown
RUME, Organizational Director