[RUME] Science Educators Also Under Fire By Traditionalist Math Warriors #3

Richard Hake rrhake at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 18 12:48:00 EDT 2012

Some subscribers to RUME might be interested in a recent post
"Science Educators Also Under Fire By Traditionalist Math Warriors
#3" [Hake (2012)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Stacy Brown (2012) of the Research in Undergraduate
Mathematics Education (RUME) list wrote at <http://bit.ly/V55OTz>
(paraphrasing):

"Mathematics educators such as Jo Boaler (2012)
<http://bit.ly/R6XsuP> are not the only academics who have had the
misfortune of encountering attacks from Wayne Bishop. Science
educators who worked with Cal Tech's Precollege Science Initiative
(CAPSI) project <http://bit.ly/T9qRsv> have been subjected to
treatment from Bishop who called on federal funding agencies to audit
several of their science projects in California in the hopes that the
grant's funds would be revoked."

Further evidence that Traditionalist Math Warriors (TMW's) such as
Bishop, Hansen, and "Haim" are virulently opposed to ALL attempts
(not just those in math education) to depart from "direct
instruction". . . . [in the sense used by the "Mathematically Correct
Science Corner" <http://bit.ly/bfzdZS>: "drill and practice,"
"non-hands-on," "teach 'em the facts"; and "non-discovery-learning,"
where "discovery learning" means setting students adrift either in
aimless play or ostensibly to discover on their own, say, Archimedes'
principle or Newton's Second Law - see Hake (2008b) at
<http://bit.ly/bHTebD>]. . .  . can be had by visiting the OPEN!
archives <http://bit.ly/eOTrs1> of Math-Teach,  a den of TMW's. See,
for example, the posts of:
(a) Bishop: click on "att1.html" near the top of the page at
<http://bit.ly/RBMyPZ> and <http://bit.ly/XoaQxx>;
(b)"Haim" at <http://bit.ly/RBDpHa>, <http://bit.ly/RTNfBB>, and
<http://bit.ly/QmM5gb>; and
(c) Hansen at <http://bit.ly/S1Rcpn> and <http://bit.ly/U4LDJx>.

Hansen's response at <http://bit.ly/XkAtiO> to my post "Re: Casualty
of the Math Wars" <http://bit.ly/R1q22j> is typical of the pathologic
excess of TMW rhetoric. Hansen wrote: "I am quite content to keep
[education researchers] in check by pointing out their lack of
honesty and method. These poor bastards are pandering to social
elements, not mathematics. . . . . Zealots full of ideology, devoid
of fact or logic.. . . . Hakes and Boalers are part of the weather,
albeit, the bad part. . . . .  These poor bastards have been
struggling for 40 years and they will struggle for another 40 years.
I suspect that eventually they will move on to something other than
mathematics, cause it really isn't working out for them here. But I
don't suspect they will change their ways."

To access the complete 19 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/QuqXqo>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on
18 Oct 2012.]

Hake, R.R. 2012. "Science Educators Also Under Fire By Traditionalist
Math Warriors #3," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/QuqXqo>. Post of 18 Oct 2012 07:47:21-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being
transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/OLm5yL> with a provision for
comments.